Monday, April 26, 2010

Congregational Coaching ... Practicing Presence

Today, a cherished friend and I discussed the joy I take in coaching congregations. He inquired about whether or not I could put my congregational coaching into an online curriculum. It was a great question. It would be efficient and convenient for those who want to access it and for me, as I could develop it when I had time and was available. So many experiences that once were experienced live and in person are now delivered online.


But then, I reflected on a coaching call I had this morning ... and my answer to a one-size-fits-all coaching curriculum was, “No!”


The call began promptly at our appointed hour. Both pastors were ready and waiting. I always begin with prayer, followed by their recitation of what we have to celebrate in the past month, as well as the challenges they have faced. Then, we tackle our topic or topics of the day. I was prepared to embark on our scheduled topic, my upcoming visit to the congregation.


Before we had a chance to pray, one pastor’s response to my casual, “How are you today?” was a tentative, “Okay. At least, it is better than yesterday!” And we were off. It didn’t require fine-tuned intuition to know that all was not well.


Yesterday an older man in the congregation took offense at a worship skit, done by the youth, illustrating God’s call to Moses, despite his speech impediment, to go to Pharaoh and demand release of God’s people. He believed that the youth were making fun of those who stutter, a challenge he has known in his life. He blew up at the senior pastor, who sided with the youth, from whom he had heard no disrespect. The older man was not satisfied. He lashed out, posting something unflattering both to the youth and senior pastor on his Facebook page ... for all to see. Then, he turned to the pastor I was coaching, who offered to meet him tomorrow for further conversation and to begin the healing process. But today, I was talking to a very unsettled pastor.


Then, I prayed, inviting God’s healing, reconciling presence into tomorrow’s conversation and God’s discerning in our conversation, that we might be faithful to what God is up to with this wonderful congregation.


I affirmed this kind and compassionate pastor for his willingness to listen to the man’s pain, to help him link his story with Moses in God’s story, and to wonder with him about how God might use his pain, transformed as ministry to others.


Then, we could tackle the rest of our coaching tasks.


In a quick evaluation of our time together, both pastors highlighted that they really needed to talk through what had happened, hear what they had done well, and create a plan for how to move forward. They emerged with confidence that they handled the situation well and can move forward, ministering to all in the congregation.

I am grateful that God, in Jesus Christ, practiced being fully present with God’s people. Coaching, tailored to each congregation and to today’s needs, is a powerful way for us to be disciples of Jesus, also practicing real presence.


I’d love to hear your wisdom on how we can best accompany one another in ministry.

1 comment:

  1. I know of no one who listens more deeply or offers more life-giving, Christ-like sustenance than you, Marilyn Sharpe.

    Anyone who is privileged to have you as a coach, mentor or friend is indeed blessed.

    Blessings to you and all whom you encounter this day, at home and away.

    Linda Staats
    Director, HomeGrown Faith &
    Assistant to the Bishop,Youth & Household Ministry
    Rocky Mountain Synod-ELCA

    ReplyDelete